Visa / Entry Permit for Study

Any person who wishes to enter Hong Kong for study is required to obtain a visa / entry permit before coming to Hong Kong.

  1. An application for a visa / entry permit to enter Hong Kong for study may be favourably considered if :
    1. the applicant:
      1. is admitted to a private school registered under the Education Ordinance (Cap. 279) or Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance (Cap. 320) (entry for study in public or aided schools is not permitted except for tertiary education);
      2. takes up studies in a full-time locally-accredited post-secondary programme including short-term course, part-time locally-accredited taught postgraduate programme, or full-time exchange study programme for not more than one year at degree or above level; or
      3. is enrolled in a course on the register of non-local higher education or professional courses as set up under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance (Cap. 493);
    2. the applicant is:
      1. from the age of 5 years and 8 months to 11 for primary education; or
      2. below the age of 20 for secondary education;
    3. the applicant holds a school acceptance letter to confirm that he has been accepted for a course of study; and
    4. the applicant is able to meet the fees for the course, the living expenses for his maintenance and accommodation without working and without recourse to public funds.
  2. This entry arrangement does not apply to:
    1. Chinese residents of the Mainland and Taiwan;
    2. former Mainland Chinese residents settled in Macao who were not settled there by 14 January 1979; and
    3. nationals of Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic Peoples' Republic of ), Nepal and Vietnam.
  3. However, subject to meeting the conditions at paragraphs 1(c) & (d) above, Chinese residents of the Mainland, Macao and Taiwan may apply for entry to take up:
    1. studies in full-time locally-accredited post-secondary programmes (Note1);
    2. full-time exchange study programmes for not more than one year at degree or above level; or 6
    3. short-term studies, subject to the following conditions:
      1. the programme concerned is offered by Hong Kong higher education institutions with degree-awarding powers)(Note 2)(excluding their continuing and professional education arms); and
      2. the cumulative duration of short-term studies taken up by any student should not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period.

In addition:

  1. Chinese residents of Macao and Taiwan may apply to take up studies in part-time locally-accredited taught post-graduate programmes
  2. Chinese residents of the Mainland may apply to take up studies in part-time locally-accredited taught post-graduate programmes offered by the University Grants Committee (UGC)-funded institutions; and
  3. Chinese residents of the Mainland may also apply to attend secondary school level short-term exchange programmes approved by the Education Bureau of not more than 2 weeks, if accompanied by Mainland teachers.

Note 1:
The agreement between the Mainland and Hong Kong on mutual recognition of degree awards in higher education is not applicable to sub-degree qualifications (i.e. associate degree, professional diploma and advanced diploma programmes). Mainland students may come to attend sub-degree level study programmes in Hong Kong since there is no restriction in the Mainland prohibiting them to pursue further studies at educational institutions outside the Mainland on a personal basis.

Note 2:
They comprise the eight University Grants Committee-funded institutions, the Open University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Shue Yan University, Chu Hai College of Higher Education and Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.

For detailed information, please refer to the following link of the Immigration Department of Hong Kong:
Application for visa / entry permit to enter Hong Kong for study