Medical Service

Private and Public Hospitals

There are a number of private and public hospitals in Mainland, some with dedicated clinics for non-Mainland patients. It is worthy to note that the medical system or service process between the Mainland and Hong Kong are quite different. Thus, Hong Kong residents need to consider the medical service provided by the hospitals and form your own assessment based on your own medical records and medical needs before visiting the clinics / hospitals.

In addition, hospitals in the Mainland usually do not accept electronic payments, e.g., credit card, Union Pay etc. Therefore, Hong Kong residents should bring sufficient cash or membership card provided by insurance company or medical insurance provider before receiving any medical treatments. You should also confirm whether the medical insurance card is accepted by the clinic / hospital.

It is worthy to note that the reimbursement of medical fees on direct basis under schemes by foreign insurance providers is applicable only to a number of hospitals jointly established by local PRC and foreign investors, and / or international medical department in public hospitals. Most hospitals in the Mainland do not accept settlement via foreign medical insurance as yet, hence Hong Kong residents may be required to apply for claims with respect to expenses incurred with their overseas insurance companies.

Contact information of private and public hospitals in Beijing

The information about the private and public hospitals listed below is primarily collected from the websites of various embassies and should be used as reference only. BJO makes no guarantees, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, content, and timelines of the information contained herein, nor will it be liable for any damages which may arise from the use of the information. You are responsible for checking the accuracy, completeness, content, and timelines of all information, and seek professional advice as necessary. Likewise, information listed below is not intended to be an advertisement or solicitation of business. BJO does not endorse any of the products, services or information referenced therein.

Guide on Emergency Aid


For Hong Kong residents who are injured or suffer from illness in the Mainland, you should first seek medical treatments from a nearby hospital. Generally speaking, you should consult a doctor to ensure that the patient is fit for travel before making any arrangements for returning to Hong Kong.

Cross-border patient transfer or ambulance booking services do not fall within the service scope of BJO. If you, your companions, friends or relatives are injured or are suffering from illness in the Mainland, and require ambulance service upon arrival in Hong Kong, you may call the Immigration Department Hotline at (852) 1868 for enquiries, or seek assistance from duty officers in Hong Kong upon arrival. Under current arrangements, an ambulance will convey the patient to a nearby hospital in Hong Kong for medical treatment after they have entered into Hong Kong territory. For further assistance, please contact the Hong Kong Immigration Division's support team, which is dedicated in providing services to Hong Kong residents abroad, via the 24-hour hotline: (852)1868.

Difference between the PRC and Hong Kong legal systems

The Mainland adopts a civil law system, while Hong Kong adopts a common law system. The two legal systems differ on many aspects including legislative base, authority / judicial power of the judges, proceedings arrangements etc. Hong Kong residents should ensure that they have a clear understanding of relevant provisions and observe the laws of the Mainland when visiting or living in the Mainland. In the event of any violation of the laws in the Mainland, the Hong Kong resident concerned should bear the corresponding legal responsibilities. Hong Kong residents are recommended to consult legal advisers or institutions when encountering legal problems in working, living or doing business in the Mainland.